Saturday, November 12, 2011

4
What do you like to see in a blog?

There is an enormous amount of blogs here on the world-wide-web, all unique, yet similar in many ways. The variety of appearance, and the way the author(s) write their posts makes spending time surfing from blog to blog or "blog hopping" tons of fun. There isn't a "wrong" way to blog, I suppose... But some blogs are more enjoyable to visit, for everyone I' m sure. Of course, a lot of the time it must be about personal preferences! For instance, most mommy-bloggers tend to enjoy following other mommy-bloggers in their quest to read and write about the journeys of motherhood and family life, while a techy-blogger probably enjoys visiting similar kinds of blogs. - Still, even when visiting a blog that shares your interests, there are some things that can make a blog a little stale, or uninteresting. So, what are some of these things, and how can every blogger protect their blog from being one of those stale or uninteresting blogs? Here are my top 5 reasons:

Firstly, an unorganized blog can sometimes be frustrating! When visiting someones blog, half of my enjoyment comes from stumbling around the content they have.. So I don't like to see it when there is no organization to the pages or posts, or they have a zillion buttons, made of different sizes and dimensions on their sidebars that have no flow or placement to them. Always remember that organization makes all the difference! :)

Secondly, I always appreciate a blog author who often posts fresh, and new topics. Repetitive posting gets a little old.. Reading about the same topic every week becomes stale, and so I'll visit another blog to get something fresh.. So always remember that keeping each post unique and different will keep readers coming back to your blog for their reading pleasures :)

Thirdly, honesty is a huge factor in my likings to a blog. I enjoy reading posts from blog authors who take time to write their honest opinions or tell their readers about things they honestly believe. There is just something more special about reading something that came from someones heart. So remember to be honest and thoughtful about your posts and always 'keep it real' :)

Fourthly, consistency is always good. I love blogs that are frequently updated. When I visit a blog and see that their most recent post was a month or two ago, I am less likely to follow them because I don't feel like I will see 'fresh' and new posts frequently enough. 

Fifthly, loyalty to your readers! I love when I follow someones blog and comment on their posts and they actually respond to and recognize me. Now, I completely understand that it is difficult to respond to every person who comments on your blog, but making the effort to connect with your readers makes your blog so much more enjoyable. So remember, appreciate your readers and be as loyal to them as they are to you! :)

Now that you've read a few of my opinions, I'd love to hear yours! What do you like to see in a blog? What don't you like to see? Don't be shy! Lets talk!


4 comments:

Kelsie Harris said...

I pretty much agree with you. I love discovering new blogs. I like blogs with good content and parenting advice. Sometimes I like personal blogs with funny stories or something that I can relate to. I don't always agree with what people post, but I appreciate the fact that they are putting themselves out there knowing that not everyone shares the same views. They're just keeping it real. =)

Grandma Bonnie said...

I am actually follow and read many different themed blogs. I have many interests. I do agree I like to see new content often. it does not have to be every day but a few times a week will keep me coming back. I do stop following blogs when the writer does not bother to follow up on questions made in the comments section. I am a new follower from the Wild weekend hop. Hope you stop by and follow if you like.

Randa Derkson said...

I'm your newest follower on GFC. Would love a visit and follow back. http://www.thebewitchinkitchen.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post on blogging and the great information on making a more "friendly" blog. Hope you have a great week.

Post a Comment